JAPEC COMMUNITY LIFE MAGAZINE
Vic visits The Clermont's Historic Village, located- corner of West Avenue and Osceola Street, in the City of Clermont.
.The Townsend House was moved to the site in 2002 from its original location - The house was built in approximately 1895. This was the home of James and Sallie Townsend, the first African-American couple to make their home in Clermont. The home has been open since 2005. To view
The Kern House. Built in approximately 1885 on Montrose Street. Alexander and Eleonora Kern were farmers in New Jersey then they move Central Florida with their two children. Mr. Kern built a water tank in the backyard of this home and hand pumped water from Crystal Lake to supply his home with water. The Kern House was moved to the site in 2006 and has been open to view since 2008.
The Depot building, which was built around 1925. The building includes rest rooms, covered picnic area, a small office, a concession stand and a meeting room which will seat 30 to 40 people. In 2009, the City moved the original Cooper Memorial Library building, built in 1914, also. The Quonset hut which is used as a World War II Museum
Clermont's Historic Village open hours are Friday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Special tours for school children and other organizations can be scheduled by contacting Roxanne Brown, Village Manager, at 352-242-7734. There is no charge for tours.